Meet Hunterdon’s friendly puppy and dog training experts & pet care team
Kelly Fahey, PMCT2, owner & lead puppy and dog trainer
Kelly’s professional credentials include:
- Level 1 Pat Miller Certified Professional Dog Trainer (basic manners training)
- Level 2 Pat Miller Certified Professional Dog Trainer (behavior modification)
- Level 3 Pat Miller Certified Professional Dog Trainer (canine aggression)
- Level 3 Pat Miller Certified Professional Dog Trainer (advanced behavior & studies)
- dogbiz University Dog Walking Academy certified dog walker
- Family Dog Trainer
- Family Paws Parent Educator
- Peaceable Paws Dog Training Affiliate
- Professional member, steering committee member, and event coordinator for the Pet Professional Guild
- Canine 1st aid and CPR certification
Kelly is a native of Hunterdon County and, of course, a lifelong dog lover. You might say her “career” started as an exceptionally active member of her local 4-H Club, though formally it began with the creation of her first business, Release the Hounds LLC, providing professional dog walking services.
As her interest and education in dog behavior advanced, Kelly eventually opened the DogSmith of Hunterdon to add force-free puppy and dog training to her pet care services in an effort to provide busy dog lovers with positive, practical solutions to all their dog care and behavior needs.
Speaking of busy, Kelly and her family have raised 24 seeing eye puppies for The Seeing Eye of Morristown, NJ!
Our training team
Janice Knapp Applegate, PMCT1
Janice’s passion for learning about dogs and dog behavior sparked while working in dog rescue. Janice has served as a volunteer for The Last Resort Rescue for 10 years, where she is now the organization’s Lead Trainer and its Foster Coordinator. She is a Pat Miller Certified Trainer Level 1, though her training and instructing experience actually began with horses. Janice worked as a riding instructor for 8 years and has competed at national levels including the National Horse Show, Pennsylvania National Horse Show, and Zone Hunter Finals. She currently owns 3 horses, 4 dogs, a cat, and also shares her home with a variety of foster dogs.
Our training methods
We are dedicated to the highest standards in dog training. As such we use only force-free, positive reinforcement dog training methods garnered from the most up-to-date scientific research in canine and animal behavior and learning, and recommended by the industry’s leading organizations and professional associations.
This approach to training supports our two goals for your training experience with us:
- Effective training results that are long lasting, without the unwanted behavioral side effects often associated with punishment and force.
- That you and your dog actively enjoy the training process.
“Dependable, compassionate, trustworthy, knowledgeable…”
“Kelly and PupScouts of Hunterdon team are truly amazing…dependable, compassionate, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and true animal lovers! We highly recommend her services.”